Guide to the QS Profession
General Guidelines for Practising as a Professional Quantity Surveyor
1. Should have sound knowledge in:
- construction technology
- project procurement methods
- commonly used standard forms of contract
- commonly used standard methods of measurements
- preparation of relevant documentation during the project procurement process
- cost data relevant to the construction industry
- subject areas commonly encountered during the project procurement process, such as construction insurance, project financing and dispute resolution.
2. Have an analytical mind, act fairly, with high regard for personal integrity, and continuously updating himself or herself with the latest developments in relevant aspects of the construction industry.
3. Observe at all times the Rules of Conduct of the relevant professional institute to which he or she belongs.
4. When supervising technical subordinates, always encourage good professional practice and require high standard in the quality of the work.